Leasing Office Location
Hudson McDonald Properties, Inc.
1600 Shattuck Ave Ste. 218
Berkeley Ca. 94709
CA BRE No.01901436
Mon – Fri, 9:30am – 5pm
Piedmont Commons started its life in 1959 as a sorority house for young Jewish women. By the early 1980s, the demand for a Jewish Sorority had diminished and the Berkeley chapter was closed. For the next thirty years, the property, known as the Tau House, provided student housing for Berkeley students. By 2010 the increase in new UC and private housing couples with the building’s age and state of disrepair resulted in significant vacancy. Tau House was in need of major renovation.
Hudson McDonald acquired the Tau House in August 2012 and re-branded it as Piedmont Commons. In the summer of 2013, Hudson McDonald undertook a high-paced major renovation of the property which included seismic improvements, upgraded electrical, new lighting, paint and finishes.
As part of the renovation, double and triple bedrooms in the building were delivered fully furnished in anticipation of a “by-the-bed” rental plan. However, in August 2013 the property was master leased to Zeta Tau Alpha sorority.